"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Week of July Twenty-FOUR: Hard work always opens DOORS!

Elder D!

Subject:  One is the field of many

How are you all doing?  Well family, it is the week of the 18th that I am covering.  I have to say that this week has been one that I am sure will be a good one.  Okay, so first, I am sending pictures to the house and you can download them (we hope we can actually do this!!!).  So involving the car...Dad that is NO fair!  I thought you were going to get the A5.  And what happened to the VOLVO????  Did it just explode????  Just kidding...but seriously!  I have to say that it was a shock to hear you got a BMW.  Please send photos of it and all the specs.  I would love to see everything about it.  I have to say I am jealous I am sitting in a 2007 Toyota Corolla and driving it all around!

So this week was transfers and I am still in Corvalis for the time being.  I am getting the hang of the area, I have already memorized how to get all over the place.  We (his companion and himself) everyday that this area will boom.  I have a feeling it will.  On Thursday we went to see an investigator.  The dad (We apologize for the vagueness of names.  Due to mission rules & for privacy purposes, we cannot use names of the individuals they teach or their companions our missionaries talk about.) is a truck driver and is out of town during the week and home on the weekends.  So after District meeting we felt like we needed to go to this family's home and ask if they would be interested in the lessons.  When we arrived noone was there not even the mom.  So were sitting and thinking of what else we need to do.  We are just sitting there and then we see his wife sitting there and then we see her driving up.  My companion and I look at each other and said.... "this is kinda awkward." (totally unified!  hahahaha you never realize how important that is until you have a companion you are not unified with)  So we are sitting there and tells us she is a grandma and is headed to Boston for two weeks to be with her grandson.  She asked for a blessing of comfort.  We gave her a blessing to feel comfort in her travels, to be safe and to know she can have a guiding hand through relying on Christ.  We were starting to leave and asked her if she wanted to learn more about the church, she replied, "YES!"...when she returns.  We have a solid investigator.  She loves the fact our church is so focused on families!  So yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!  We getting finding investigators even though they are coming slowly, but I have to say it is awesome!!!  We also got a referral from church headquarters because someone asked to see the missionaries and we teach this guy this week!  I am stoked!!!

Love you!  Say "HI!" to the whole Delis family and Grandma Rose & Grandpa Dave for me!

Elder Christian James Delis

----------------------------------------

Hermana Kate Delis

Subject:  Bu-bu-bu-buenos tardes! (Apparently she has acquired a taste for COW TONGUE and now has a STUDDER!!!)

How are you?  Ah. Vamos a ver, ha.  You're in UTAH!!! (Hispanics say "Joo-tah" ha ha :) )  How fun!  Tell everyone I say hello!  Hopefully all is going according to plans and seeing everyone is great.  Today is rainy and unusually cold, here.  It's a nice little relief!  Lucky Chicago missionaries!  Blessings galore.  Well I hope you are all doing great and give Andrew a punch or something from me.  Ha, jokes!  Punch them ALL! :)  OH!  DAD!  I am excited to see your sweet new wheels!!  That is so FUN!  Sorry you'll be without them while you are in Joo-tah!  Where's the Volvo? 

Well, this week was so so hard.  Ha, definitely the hardest on my mission yet, maybe even ever in my life, ha.  It was ridiculous.  Nothing super awful even happened, so I don't know how to tell you what was so yuck about it.  I just felt inadequate, really.  As soon as I got my new companion (who I LOVE by the way!  She is an AWESOME missionary and I just know she is with me in Woodstock for a reason!) and my Spanish just seemed to tank.  I felt like I couldn't talk, I felt like I wasn't teaching anyone, I felt uninspired, I couldn't get us around my area, I just couldn't DO things -- I felt so useless.  It was bad.  I was like everything yucky about me was RIGHT in front of my face and it was emotionally debilitating. Oh it was hard, fam.  I was on my knees more than normal, and I cried a lot.  Not in front of anyone, ha.  I don't think anyone even knew I was having a hard time.  But I was, and by Monday it was just really hard.  It wasn't like there was loads of temptation that I needed to battle or anything, it was just that the Lord was really molding me.  So it wasn't nasty, it was just HARD.  And it hurt a lot of times throughout the week.  So anyway, Monday after district meeting, I felt like I should ask for a blessing from one of the elders.  So I did.  I can't even tell you how important that blessing was to me.  I really think it was one of the most powerful moments in my life.  The blessing said that the Lord is SO very mindful of me, that HE knows me so specifically, and everything that is happening in my life right now--these challenges--are not only from Him but for me specifically because I need to become something so much bigger than I had ever even thought I could be.  He sees a potential in me that I never had, one that I have the privilege of becoming.  And at the end it said that my family is praying for me, and as I preach I will bare their name with honor. :)  That's you guys! Ha. :)  Anyway, since that blessing I have been so calm.  I know who I am and it's so simple: I am truly a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me so much, and I love Him. 

Okay, well I have to go.  I hope you are doing great and thank you so much for your prayers for me and my investigators.  WE FEEL THEM SO OFTEN.  They really make a difference.  Keep saying them!  Well, LOVE you lots and lots, and I will talk to you soon!!!

Hna Delis

No comments:

Post a Comment