"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Week of April Twenty-FOUR: One Missionary flies to CHICAGO...The Other continues to write MORE!

Elder Delis


Subject:  Finding A Way!!


Well, this week has been focused on finding investigators.  This is a huge test of patience and faith for me.  It is hard to express what a let down this can be from time to time.


Yesterday was Easter.  It helped me get through the whole week.  Thinking about what Easter represents made it easier for me.  I am so grateful for the atonement that our Savior has given on our behalf.  I know my efforts are not in vain, but it is hard to watch people reject the words of the Savior.  I am not completely distraught about this issue since I believe I am preparing individuals for future missionary opportunities.  


It seems like the many investigators I am meeting need the Plan of Salvation.  For example, Katie Washington is one of our investigators.  She is a mother in a blended family.  She has a lot going on in her life and I believe the Spirit has helped her gain my trust.  It has taken patience (and you all know that is not a gift that comes easily for me!).  Though it is hard, I am beginning to understand that all I can do is have faith in our Savior.  And I am starting to see that through acts of faith my understanding of what I can do for Him is becoming clearer. 


Well family, I am so focused that the Savior helps us all.  And if we want to do anything we need His help.  I love you guys and I hope you are all happy!


LOVE YA!


Elder Christian James Delis
-----------------------------------


Hermana Kate Delis


Subject:  I PLACED MY FIRST BOOK OF MORMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buenos tardes, familia!!

Well, I am in Chicago.  WHAT THE HECK!  So wild.  Okay, well this week's email is a lot less investigator focused and just exciting for Hna Delis, but I think you'll think it's exciting too.  I made it to Chicago!  I am so excited for you all to come see it sometime--the city is a lot of fun.  So we got to O'Hare (17 missionaries!!! HUGE group!), grabbed our luggage and packed it in a truck, and then they gave us a Book of Mormon and pass-along cards (mine in Spanish) and sent us on a train to pass it out!!  We had 30 minute loop to pass them all out, and I was lucky enough to start talking with Pablo, a brand new daddy who wanted to take the Book of Mormon.  How happy is that?  I even got contact information!  I placed a Libro de Mormon.  And in Spanish no less!  We talking in English some, but lots was n Spanish.  WHAT A COOL START!!   That was my third contact of the mission.  Who'd have thought?  My first contact that I made was totally awkward and really embarrassing, though--haha :)  So the placing of the Book of Mormon was not a "first tries the charm" kind of deal.  Anyway, I think Pablo was more of a blessing for me than I was for him.  It was a nerve-racking and exciting first half of the mission!

The President and his wife are AWESOME--the best, I think.  Ha, I know I've only known them for a day...but I promise they are great.  And new my companion!  Her name is Hna Miller and she is FANTASTIC.  She has Celiac's disease, too!  But she has it WAY worse than me, and just found out ON THE MISSION!  How awful would that be?  So difficult.  So for the first time I am so grateful that I have Celiac's--I know exactly how it feels.  So we'll learn together how to best be wheat-free missionaries in Chicago.  I just wrote a letter to the president to tell them that being gluten-free would be "the cool thing to" in the mission by the end of the transfre...we'll see how that goes. :)

Well, Hna Miller and I were just "whitewashed" into an area--that means that both the missionaries before us left, so the area is COMPLETELY new for both of us.  There is a whole new lingo in the mission field--it is darling, ha.  We are in Woodstock, IL, and it is up North.  We are in the "sticks" literally.  All the trees are sticks.  And our apartment is BEAUTIFUL.  We are kind of spoiled missionaries...we have gym in the lobby, ha.  We're so excited.

Well, I am so happy to be a missionary!  It is great to see Chicago, meet President Doll and his wife and the missionaries, my companion--I am so grateful to be where I am!  I love my call as a missionary--I've never been happier.  I just know the gospel is true, and it is happy.

Okay, well I am safe and loving my call. :)  I love you very much and look forward to hearing from you soon!!

Love you,

H Delis

No comments:

Post a Comment