"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week TWO--Look What I CAN DO!

Elder Delis' Week @ a Glance:

Subject: A little bit of everything!

Monday:  Wrote letters to Grandma Delis, The Meyer Fam, The Steve Delis', Grandma Rose & Grandpa Dave, Katie & Elder Larsen (my MTC companion).  I can write while I am doing my laundry!  Had lunch @ President Lowry's (as usual ;) ) he (meaning he is the cook!  I found out this week he makes our meals!  they are delicious!) made chicken sandwiches.  Bought my mountain bike.  It costs $380 and is pretty awesome.  The thing I like best is the bike has disk brakes, so it should be a fast stopping bike!!

Tuesday: Got up and got ready and went about my studies, which is always fun! (mom note: is this MY child?)  Went tracking w/out much luck.  Had dinner @ Chipotles--it was soooo good! (our dinner appt fell through). 

Wednesday: Went to breakfast w/ the zone leaders and the district leaders.  I just love getting to know the other missionaries!  Went to the Institute at Oregon University for correlation.  I studied while they met b/c I'm not a district leader.  Did exchanges w/ the zone leaders.  Tracted & placed 3 BofM's.  Dinner appt. with a family who lived in D.C. @ the same time as the temple was being dedicated.  It was cool to talk to them about how they liked Virginia!!

Thursday:  Got up @ 5:45 am w/Elder Sorenson (zone leader I did exchanges with) and ran in the rain, I didn't mind.  Elder Mackey (current companion) & Elder Peterson were waiting for us.  By 7 am, I packed up my stuff and headed back to the Jacobson's home (the member's home I'm living in).  We studied til 8, fell asleep (from running sooo early!) Woke up at 9 am, got ready & studied some more.  I am reading a boat load!!!  I am on my 7th week & to be honest with you, I truly do not think I have been out this long--it feels like a couple of days!

Friday:  Long day, spent most of it @ Institute.  I got there @ 12 noon & didn't leave until 4.  Afterwards we came back to get our stuff to go to our dinner appt.  It was with a recent convert, Betty White (not the actress, but she is almost 80!)   She had some amazing stories about her conversion.

Well that was my week--it was really a kind of tiring one, so I am exhausted today!  Yet there is still a bit left to do.  Hope all is well!

Love you!
Elder Christian James Delis

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hermana Delis' Weekly Email

Subject:  There is Sunshine in my soul todaaayyy!!

Hello familia!  Happy today!  I hope you are all doing great.  My district is literally always singing "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today"--ahem--"Hay es gozo en mi alma hoy!!" It is stuck in my head, hence mi subject.

Now for the week: It was lovely!  Mi companera and I only speak in Spanish to each other--difficult goal.  It's actually kind of Spanglish, but it works out okay.  We're getting better!  Wahoo! That is important.  I love my Spanish, though.  I associate it with the gospel now, because most of the words I know are gospel related, so it's really close to my heart.  I really love that.  I still sound crazy, but I love it and I get more courageous about it as the days go on.  We sang "Armies of Helaman" in Spanish the other day in church--it was AWESOME.  We sing it as "We are NOW the Lord's missionaries" in Spanish, and it's like a primary dream come true.  AH!  So happy!! 

One neat thing I coming to realize is the blessings of living and loving the gospel in obedience.  So often I associate my actions and the way my day goes as being directly correlated.  If I do X, Y will happen.  But I've learned some cool lessons revolving around the idea that obedience simply let's you be more responsive to the things that matter most.  I'm grateful for "rules." 

Being a missionary is so happy!! Hard as heck some days, but I go to bed literally feeling like the Lord says "Well done, Katie.  I love you.  Keep going."  I am so grateful for that.

Love you loads, familia!  Talk to you soon :)
Your Hermana

No comments:

Post a Comment